Performance Reviews & Appraisal
This one-day course brings to life the benefits of effective performance reviews and appraisal meetings. It is designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills needed to identify, manage and improve employee performance. Case studies and exercises, will be a feature of the course and delegates will be encouraged to share real-life experiences and examples from their place of work.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This course is ideal for individuals who manage employees, particularly where they are required to carry out staff reviews and appraisals and are looking to build their confidence and effectiveness in this area. It is suitable for newly promoted managers and managers who have some experience of performance management and appraisals, but lack formal training or require a refresher. In order to focus on development needs, delegates are asked to think about the documentation currently used before, during and after appraisal meetings in their current workplace.
- Knowledge of key employment legislation in this area
- An understanding of how to identify poor performance
- Knowledge of the tools needed and benefits of reviews and appraisal meetings
- Ability to confidently plan and prepare for a successful meeting
- Improved communication skills and tips on being fair and consistent with all staff
- Improved listening skills and knowledge of how to tackle performance issues effectively
- Setting objectives
- Knowledge of how to use the formal process when employees fail to satisfactorily improve their performance
BENEFITS TO YOUR ORGANISATION
- An engaged and skilled workforce enjoying greater job satisfaction, motivation and morale
- Increased productivity and efficiency
- Reduced attrition/employee turnover
- Improved risk management in potentially highly litigious areas such as unfair dismissal and discrimination
The Importance of Staff Appraisal and Review
- The purpose and benefits of appraisals and reviews
- Aligning appraisal reviews with organisational success
- Understanding your role and responsibilities as an effective appraiser
- Understanding the role and responsibilities of appraisees.
Effective Planning & Preparation for the Appraisal or Review
- Gathering the information you need to draft an appraisal plan
- Understanding the importance of the organisation’s aims and objectives
- The importance of fairness and equality in the application of the system
- Gathering supporting evidence and data
The Appraisal / Review Meeting
- Establishing open and honest communications
- Questioning and listening skills
- Planning and conducting a structured, balanced and participative discussion
- Reviewing current and previous performance
- Providing clear and specific feedback .
Recognising Poor Performance
- Understanding poor performance
- How to identify poor performance
- Indicators of poor performance.
- Dealing with challenging conversations
- Addressing issues of poor performance confidently
- Setting objectives
- Scheduling regular review meetings
- Using formal performance management processes.
COURSE DURATION / TIMINGS
9.30am to 4.30pm
Please call us on 0345 226 8393 if you would like to arrange an in-house course.