Hiring & Firing
This course provides a general overview and awareness of employment law issues in the life of an employment relationship and explains how to deal with issues which may arise during this time. Those seeking more detailed insight into some of these issues would also benefit from attending our other, related courses.
Who Should Attend
The course is particularly beneficial to business owners, operations managers / directors, supervisors and HR managers who need a general overview and awareness of employment law issues.
CEO, DM Orthotics
- Knowledge of key aspects of Employment Law
- An understanding of your role and responsibilities as an employer / manager
- Effective tools and processes for managing key employment processes from recruitment to dismissal
- Effective use of employment procedures
- Preventing issues from arising
Benefits to your Organisation
- Increased confidence in handling key employment processes
- Ability to safely adopt a commercial approach to tricky Employment Law issues
- Ensuring compliance with Employment Law requirements
- Engaging and retaining an effective and motivated workforce
- Saving time and minimising costs in managing employee issues
- Improved risk management in potentially highly litigious areas such as dismissal and discrimination
Sales Manager, DM Orthotics
Making an Offer of Employment
An employer’s conduct when making an offer of employment sets the standard for the employment relationship which follows and so it is important that a business can protect itself by following the correct procedures.
Types of Contract and Terms of Employment
The contract of employment is a legally binding document on which an employee could bring a claim for breach of contract or constructive unfair dismissal. It is therefore crucial that an employer issues a contract which is relevant and fit for purpose.
A poorly performing employee can affect productivity and be disruptive for other members of staff. Dealing with these issues at an early stage can prevent issues from escalating and help you work towards having a high achieving workforce.
Managing Long Term Sickness Absence
Long term sickness absence is a sensitive area and involves a balance between being sympathetic to the member of staff concerned and managing the productivity of your staff team. This can often result in an employee remaining off sick for months, if not years, without further challenge.
Disciplinary Issues – Warning or Dismissal?
Issuing the correct form of disciplinary sanction is important to both avoid exposing your business to unnecessary tribunal litigation (unfair dismissal, constructive unfair dismissal, discrimination) and also to appropriately incentivise the employee to improve their conduct.
When used correctly, a Settlement Agreement can provide a clean break in terminating an employee’s employment whilst providing protection to your business against an Employment Tribunal claim.
Course Duration and Timings
1 day workshop
9.30am to 4.30pm
Please call us on 0345 226 8393 if you would like to arrange an in-house course.