Absence Management Skills
This programme is a practical session that gives you the confidence to deal with absence management procedures; helping reduce absence in the workplace and increase productivity. It delivers practical advice and guidance on managing short and long terms absence through to medical capability, dismissal and the law.
Who Should Attend
This course is suitable for newly promoted managers and those who have some experience of managing people, but not had any formal management training or require a refresher.
- Knowledge of key employment legislation
- An understanding of your roles and responsibilities
- Skills to handle difficult situations more efficiently saving time and preventing issues recurring
- Investigation techniques
- Confidence in handling absence management and medical capability meetings as well as appeal hearings.
Benefits to your Organisation
- Improved risk management in potentially highly litigious areas such as dismissal
- Higher standards of management
- Saving time and cost in managing employee issues
- Ensuring compliance with Employment Law requirements
- Improved audit trails for litigation.
Human Resources, Audley Court
Managing short term sickness absence
Short term sickness absence is a common issue that has a big impact on businesses ability to run effectively. During this workshop we will cover:
- Potential causes of sickness absence
- Types of absence management procedures
- When you should take action against short term sickness absence
- When it is appropriate to obtain medical evidence
- How to conduct formal absence management meetings and appeals
- Determining the most suitable outcome
Managing long term sickness absence
Long term sickness absence is a sensitive area and involves a balance between being sympathetic to the
member of staff concerned and managing the productivity of your staff team. This can often result in an
employee remaining off sick for months, if not years, without further challenge.
During this workshop, we will cover:
- When is an employee classed as being on ‘long term’ sickness absence
- How and when to contact an employee who is on long term sickness absence
- Understanding Disability and reasonable adjustments
- Obtaining and interpreting a medical report
- Managing a phased return to work
- When is it appropriate to consider a medical capability dismissal?
- How to conduct a medical capability hearing
Care Manager, Audley Court