Creating a collaborative and supportive culture across multiple academies, whilst also ensuring consistency and operational efficiency, isn’t an easy challenge.
That’s why, when moving away from local authority control, MATs across the country rely on Ellis Whittam’s fixed-fee service for HR, Employment Law and Health & Safety support. Our experts work with education leaders to encourage stabilisation and ensure consistency of approach across all schools.
Employment Law & HR Support
All of our Employment Law Advisers from our MAT Team are experienced in the education field. They have an expert understanding of school leadership, governance and strategy, as well as the specific challenges involved in operating multiple schools.
Your team of Employment Law Advisers will:
- Draft bespoke contracts, handbooks and policies to facilitate a consistent approach across your Trust;
- Help you to implement practical measures to overcome poor performance, absenteeism and grievances; and
- Provide solutions-focused advice on all types of matters concerning structural change, including TUPEs, contractual terms and conditions, and settlement agreements.
Our dedicated advisers will help you to adopt a forward-thinking approach to growth. They will work with you to implement your vision and take the hassle out of complex and time-consuming employee issues. This will allow you to focus on maintaining and improving educational standards across your Trust.
Health & Safety Support
Managing risk across multiple sites, especially where children are involved, requires the expertise of an experienced health and safety professional. As an approved partner of the Institute of School Business Leadership, our qualified Health & Safety Consultants work with MATs to create a positive health and safety culture.
Your team of Health & Safety Advisers will:
- Act as your legally-required competent person to ensure your Trust meets the requirements of health and safety law;
- Work with you to create a Trust-wide Health & Safety Policy;
- Conduct General Risk Assessments and Fire Risk Assessments to identify any areas of non-compliance and work with you to take remedial action; and
- Implement our 4 pillar approach, covering management structure, facilities management, curriculum risk and education risk.
To accompany our hands-on support, EW’s award-winning Health & Safety Software acts as a real-time reporting tool for Trustees – offering multi-site visibility and acting as a paperless audit of compliance.
“It is clear that we made the right decision in choosing Ellis Whittam as our HR partner. The advice received has been outstanding: responsive, with clear guidance and proactive support. In Ellis Whittam, we feel confident that we have the right HR support in place as we further develop the Trust.”
Darren Carpenter, Chief Operating Officer, Diocese of Chichester Academy Trust
Think of us as a dedicated extension of your Trust that you can call upon at any time. Our unique combination of expert advice, unlimited support and fixed fees, all backed up by our independent Legal Expenses Insurance, gives you certainty of cost, peace of mind and more time to focus on what’s important.
ROSPA-accredited e-Learning courses
We provide 60+ online HR and Health & Safety courses for consistent, standardised training across all members of staff, covering DSE, Fire Safety and Stress.
IOSH Managing Health & Safety Risks in the Education Sector
Designed by Ellis Whittam specifically for education providers, this two-day health and safety course is intended to support school leaders in their duty to keep children and young adults safe.
White paper: MAT growth and HR implications
In this thought-provoking paper, our Education Team highlight some of the HR issues arising from rapid growth and offer expert advice on dealing with staffing changes.