It’s every employer’s responsibility to keep their staff, clients, and customers safe.
This includes preventing injury as well as protecting against long-term ill health. Focusing on this improves staff turnover, builds trust, and saves on insurance costs.
According to Health and Safety Executive statistics (2016/17):
- 31.2 million working days were lost because of injury or ill health.
- 526,000 people suffered from work-related mental health issues.
- The main causes of work-related musculoskeletal injury are – manual handling, keyword work, repetitive strain, and awkward positions.
- Industries with the highest rates of ill health – social work, agriculture, public administration, and education.
Every workplace has hazards and dangers, whether it involves toxic fumes or everyday technology. If an employee takes legal action, and your business is found to be negligent, they could make a significant claim.
How to find the best Health & Safety help
The key to staying compliant is accessing the most reliable advice and information. You’ll be able to identify potential hazards and risk, meet your responsibilities, and approach Health & Safety more confidently.
Know what you’re looking for
Health & Safety advice comes in many different forms, including question and answer, guided training, or a full service. Before you go looking for it, decide what you need. If information online feels too vague and basic, it’s time to look for a more on-demand service.
Seek out advice aimed at employees too
Just because something was written with staff in mind doesn’t mean it’s not an important read for employers too. It’s helpful to know what employees have the right to expect, and how they might respond to particular health and safety regulations.
Talk directly to the experts
For advice in very specific situations, having someone at the end of a line is really valuable. A Health & Safety helpline can provide on-demand, Health & Safety specialist information for your particular problem or query. This is why Ellis Whittam’s Health & Safety support is so valuable.
For a fixed fee, Ellis Whittam will provide you with your own Health & Safety consultant:
- Bespoke risk assessments to keep you compliant.
- A direct line for help and advice.
- Office based H&S support.
- Act as your competent person.
- Legal Expenses Insurance to cover your FFI and HSE costs.
- Create your General Risk Assessment.
- Be on site to support you in your Health & Safety journey.
Contact us to discuss your Health & Safety needs and find out how we can help.