Ellis Whittam is a fast-growing professional support company, specialising in the delivery of high-quality HR, Employment Law, Health and Safety advice supported by technology. We offer employers fixed fee, unlimited access support on issues and compliance obligations concerning employees and the workplace. We are highly successful, enjoying double digit growth rates and supporting 30,000 UK employers. Clients range from 10 employee small businesses to 10,000 employee organisations (such as Peter Jones’ group of companies, Pure Gym, Holland and Barrett and Oxford University).
Since November 2020, EW has been part of Marlowe plc, a group of regulatory compliance businesses specialising in employment law, HR, health & safety and associated services. In March 2021, Marlowe also acquired ESP Law, a Solicitors Regulation Authority-regulated law firm focused on the mid-market and supporting over 700 clients with a reputation for market-leading employment law advice, best-in-class ER case management technology solutions and online HR resources.
Our legal team is currently recruiting for a Senior Employment Law Adviser to support our litigation department ideally at either our Aldford or Glasgow office although we would consider home working for the right candidate. Whilst employed by EW, the successful candidate will split their time 50/50 working on cases from both EW & ESP Law (with different systems for each) ahead of a proposed future merger encompassing the two businesses.
As a Senior Employment Law Adviser with a background in employment tribunal litigation, you will be required to provide high quality employment law advice to our clients, to manage a caseload of approx. 25 live Employment Tribunal claims, to mentor more junior colleagues and to provide brilliant client service.
Main Features of the Role
- Provision of high quality, pragmatic employment law advice by telephone & email
- Drafting of all tribunal documents, including pleadings, bundles, witness statements, etc
- Undertaking some Telephone (case management) Preliminary Hearings as appropriate. Opportunities for video/in-person advocacy can be considered subject to capacity. Where appropriate, liaising with Chambers and preparing briefs for counsel to attend Final Hearings.
- Managing a caseload of approx. 25 ET claims of varying complexity from straightforward unfair dismissals to multi-day discrimination/whistleblowing (etc) claims
- Compliance with both EW & ESP internal processes including insurance reporting as required
- Mentor junior colleagues
As we are not a private practice firm there is no billing, networking or need to bring a client base with you!
Key Skills and Experience
To join us you’ll need to:
- Be a qualified employment lawyer with 5+ years PQE
- Have five or more years’ experience as a dedicated employment law adviser, ideally with a focus on litigation
- Be able to prioritise and work to deadlines whilst maintaining the highest client service levels
- Possess clear evidence of commercial awareness and a high standard of client care
- Have evidence of a high level of achievement of business objectives and client satisfaction in previous role
If you are successful, we will provide you with a competitive salary and excellent benefits, which includes 25 days’ annual leave (plus bank holidays), as well as many other perks.
If you think you have what it takes to be an exceptional Senior Employment Law Adviser and deliver a brilliant service to our clients, we want to hear from you!